Friday, November 9, 2007

NUS Hill Run

After a couple of half-starts, finally managed to complete a proper NUS Hill run this week. What a turn out it was, 11 runners in total. Finally go to put some faces to nicks. Was undertaking this with a no small amount of trepidation, as had crashed and burned the first time I took on the hills. Once again started out at a pace somewhat faster than I am comfortable with (thanks to xdd!). 5:20min/km, HR up to 160 already and barely 1km into the run. Chatted with DO at the beginning and soon came up to HPV. Really cool to get into the park, probably not been there in over 25years. No time for sightseeing though, hit the top of the hill and waited for the rest to catch up. Nice to have an early break, and mindful of Vigilante Drive to come. Down the back lane and out to Zehnder Road, everyone still going strong. Soon hit the foot of Vigi Drive, don't care how slow I look, I am JOGGING up this slope. Sure enough, soon left behind as everybody else charged up. Took my time to get to the top, but as I got there, felt relieved as I had got to the top in good shape and now I knew I was going to finish the run at least! Down the slope, into SP1 and water break. All the breaks are making this a very manageable run. Retrospectively this was really good interval training, sweat it up the slopes, then take ample rest, then repeat.



Ok, onwards. Up science park, chatted with Freddy. First time he was doing this route and he was enjoying it tremendously. Gave him some tips on the area and soon we were turning back down South Buona Vista road. Cutting across SBV back down to SP2 is a really hazardous exercise, can't see round the bend and who knows what crazies may be driving.

Cut a long story short, the group hung tight till we hit the base of PGP (near guild house) again. wend88 calls it a day on her first NUS Hill Run. She's done fantastically well keeping up with the pace up till now. I remember my first Hill Run when I walked the last 6km after trying to keep up with Ronnie and tktan inthe first 3. Last 5 km around NUS. Freddy, DR, Ronnie decide to attack the PGP hill with gusto. I am hanging back a little. Finally, into NUS, around UCC and the last 1km. Everybody SPEEDS up! Finally, guild house comes into sight. I've officially COMPLETED a NUS Hill Run. xdd, I want my cert.

Post run refreshments were great. Drinks and fruit, thanks tktan and BR.

As usual, scoot off for my meetings. Heard the guys enjoyed dinner. Hopefully I'll get a chance next time.

Some pics here --> tktan's, BR's

Till next week (or this week, actually)

2 comments:

Sling Runner said...

Great blog with lots of scientific articles. Are you a scientist by background orjust an afficionado?

cheers,
Sling Runner

runmondeo said...

Hi sling, am a runner with a passion for the science of running.