Monday, August 6, 2007

Bruce! Bruce! Thy protocol does hurt!

With all the publicity around young fit guys keeling over, I really thought it would be a good idea to get myself checked out as I ramped up my mileage. The ECG stress test was an optional part to my biennial company health screen anyhow, which was due.

On the day, had checked in at the medical centre, had blood drawn, then waited at the cardiology centre. Shortly after, into the test room. There was a basic looking treadmill in a corner, hooked up to a computer, and an ECG machine with attendant wires. Shirt off, shoes on, wires stuck on, and off we went.......

.....and I thought I was in pretty good shape, Good Grief! Let me warn you, if you ain't trained in running, this is NOT an easy test.

Started off easy enough, but once I got to stage 3, I knew I was in trouble. By stage 4, I could barely keep on the treadmill. Don't let the slow speed fool ya, the 16% gradient by that stage is a killer. I stopped after a minute and a half at stage 4. I was near maximum predicted HR, sweating like a pig, and glutes and calves burning. Anyhow, as far as I could make out, seemed not to have any significant findings on the ECG tracing, and no symptoms to boot.

So all set! AHM in a 3 weeks and SCSM on the horizon. God keep me safe in my training.

For those interested in what the Bruce Protocol Stress Test is, here is one link -->

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/bruce.htm

No comments: